Open Data Catalogue
Information Technology, GIS and CADD Services branch
Data currency comments
This data set reflects conditions in the respective years and is not being updated.
Data set description
Building footprints 1999 - includes approximate building footprints for the downtown peninsula in 1999 as digitized from 1999 orthophotos.
Building footprints 2009 - includes generalized building footprints of the city generated from 2009 LiDAR data.
Note: Data is approximate. Care must be taken in using them because of the significant number of changes since collected year. They are best used for comparison purposes only.
Data accuracy comments
The data set reflects the approximate building footprints in respective collected years.
- ID: Unique identifier for each footprint polygon
- ORIENT8: Angle of footprint polygon in degrees. For example, a footprint with an ORIENT8 value of 0.2 will be .2 degrees from North.
- BLDGID: A value shared by all polygons that make up an individual building. For example, an apartment building could be composed of a polygon for its podium, another for the tower, and one for the mechanical penthouse. Each of these polygons will have a unique ID, but will share a common BLDGID attribute such as “58832”.
- TOPELEV_M: Highest elevation of the building element in meters (geodetic)
- MED_SLOPE: The median slope of the building roof in degrees
- BASEELEV_M: The lowest elevation of the building element in meters (geodetic)
- HGT_AGL: The building element height above grade level in meters (essentially this is TOPELEV_M minus BASEELEV_M)
- ROOFTYPE: The type of building roof as defined by three categories; Complex, Flat, and Pitched
- AREA_M2: The area of the footprint in square meters
- AVGHT_M: The average height of the building element in meters
- MINHT_M: The minimum height of all elements sharing BLDGID in meters
- MAXHT_M: The maximum height of all elements sharing BLDGID in meters
- BASE_M: The base elevation of all elements sharing BLDGID in meters
- LEN: Cumulative length of all polygons sharing BLDGID in meters
- WID: Cumulative width of all polygons sharing BLDGID in meters
Note: 1999 data set contains only building footprint polygons, no attribute information
DWG, SHP, TIF, Mr. SID, and ECW formatted data are projected in UTM Zone 10, NAD83 (CSRS). KML, CSV, and XLS formatted data are projected in latitude and longitude (WGS84). Not all CSV and XLS files have latitude and longitude and those are not projected.
Data set details