Open Data Catalogue
Council voting record
Data set name
Council voting record
City Clerk's Office
Data currency comments
The voting records extract is updated following Regular Council, Special Council, Standing Committee, and Public Hearing meetings. The most recent data will be available within two business days of the meeting minutes being published.
Note: Following complex meetings with a large number of agenda items, data release may be delayed by several business days.
Data set description
The posting of voting records for City of Vancouver Council members is part of the City’s ongoing commitment to open, transparent and proactive disclosure of data. In 2016, City Council began using an electronic voting system which has enabled the City to capture individual Council member vote records for Regular Council, Special Council, Standing Committee, and Public Hearing meeting types.
Note: Please consult corresponding meeting minutes for official vote records.
Data accuracy comments
- Erroneous and test votes are not included in the data sets, therefore vote numbers will not appear in sequence.
- Consent agenda item votes are recorded after the meeting and will therefore not appear in sequence.
The following definitions are listed for convenience to help users understand the data set terminology being used. For official definitions and procedures, refer to the Procedure Bylaw.
- Meeting Type: Vote data is captured for the following meetings types: Regular Council; Special Council; Policy & Strategic Priorities; City Finance & Services and Public Hearing
- Vote Date: The date that the vote was recorded in yyyy-mm-dd format.
- Vote Number: A unique vote number which identifies an agenda item for consideration by vote. This number is also referenced in the corresponding meeting minutes.
Note: This field will not appear in sequence due to removal of test and error votes. Consent agenda item votes are recorded after the meeting and will therefore not appear in sequence.
- Agenda Description: The agenda item title which is noted in the minutes of the meeting.
Note: The following vote types are excluded from the vote data:
- Adoption of Minutes
- Matters Adopted on Consent
- Resolution to move into/rise from Committee of the Whole
- Adopt Report of Committee of the Whole or Standing Committee
- Bylaws adopted by blanket motion
- Administrative Motions adopted by blanket motion
- Motion to hold an In Camera Meeting
Where an item is referred to another meeting or back to staff, the vote is noted as referred in this field.
- Vote Start Date Time: The date/time that the vote was called at the meeting. This field is in yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss format.
- Council Member: The name of the Council member conducting the vote.
- Vote: A Council member’s response on a motion. Votes are recorded as follows:
- In favour: In favour of the motion.
- In opposition: In opposition of the motion.
- Absent: Absent from the current meeting or absent from the Council Chambers, but present at the meeting.
- No Vote: Not eligible to vote (on a Public Hearing item due to absence from the Public Hearing) pursuant to s. 18.26 of the Procedure Bylaw.
- Abstain: Formally decline to vote (recorded as a vote in favour of the motion pursuant to s. 145.1(3) of the Vancouver Charter).
- Declared Conflict: Conflict of Interest declared pursuant to s.145.2 of the Vancouver Charter.
- Decision: The outcome of the vote.
- Carried Unanimously: A motion that is passed by the affirmative vote of all Council members present at the meeting. Note: Some agenda items with this decision type may have been adopted on consent.
- Carried: A motion that is passed by the affirmative vote of the majority or two-thirds of the Council members present at the meeting, depending on the requirements for a motion.
- Lost: A motion that is defeated by the negative vote of the majority of Council members present at the meeting.
- Vote Detail ID: Unique identifier for each data row.
Websites for further information
Data set details